Friday 11 May 2018

It’s perfect

Today will be our longest day of serious sightseeing as we have plenty to see, and the 8 am departure from Bergen is where I’ll start. A big double breakfast for Wadda and we hit platform 3 for our train to Myrdal some 2 hrs out of town where we will catch the Flamsbana train down to Flam some 20 kms below. The claim to fame for this train that it’s one of the prettiest rail journeys in the world, now WADDA has traveled on other train claiming this title and so I shall see for myself. Not far into the downhill my brain just can’t cope what I’m seeing out my window it’s truly amazing, the train stops at the wildest waterfall you have ever seen. As people scramble out of the carriages for a few happy snaps I also stumble out for a closer inspection and it was just the absolutely breathtaking , the sisters have a sticky beak and take shelter back on the train. 1 hour later we reach the valley floor arriving at Flam , as I said I’ve done some of this stuff before and this certainly in my top 3 places to see before you die . The sisters have also added a different slant on our return journey by adding a fjord cruise back to Gudvangen, this 2 hrs trip looks like it might suit us adventurous type like myself. As we slowly depart the dock I’m thinking hope this mob got WiFi on board because it’s not really me ,10 minutes later WADDA wasn’t thinking WiFi he was out on deck in the Pissin rain and howling wind gob smacked at the miles and miles of Norway’s fjords . The 2 hour journey passes far to quickly but I’ll never forget this beautiful trip on the stunning fjords of Norway, the next piece of the puzzle to unfold will see us travel by bus some 50 kms to Voss. Back on land and the bus is rearing to go , and the bus WADDA and the sisters board is being driven by a female ( no disrespect) and we are still in mountain goat territory. Miss Poppet kicks the big Merc bus into life and we’re off on our way to Voss ,WADDA is in the very front seat opposite the sisters and we are not panicking just yet. As happens Miss Poppet turns off the main highway and starts heading up hill again and I’m now worried . I reckon she’s heading for the Stalheimskleiva and this just happens to be one of the steepest gradients in Northern Europe , and this 1in5 gradient has 13 sharp hairpin bends . This white knuckle ride has almost bought the sisters to tears and I just keep the camera clicking , Miss Poppet is doing it easy and showed just what a good operator she was ( we all clapped) as the white knuckle rideended.......Good night ...... WADDA
One down 


1 comment:

  1. A photo deserving of comment! Intrepid and fearless trio of travellers you are...much enjoying the travel tales, keep up the good work..

    ReplyDelete