Thursday 26 April 2018

Change of plan

We were all heading  to Neuschwanstein castle today but due to some transportation difficulties we’ve had to swap the days around, German alps today for me and the castle tomorrow. We leave the hotel at 0745 for a quick coffee at the station  WADDA will be catching a train for a 90 minute trip to Garmisch, this is the beginning of a my day alone in the Alps. I’m heading to catch a cog train up to Zugspitze the highest mountain in Germany, it stands some 3000 metres above sea level. As usual the German rail system is at its utmost best because this branch line train tops 160 kph and I’m there in a blink of an eye. At Garmisch I clamber aboard the cog train for the first 2000 metres then hop onto a cable car going straight to the top, and I’m not disappointed what a view from the top of Germany. The day is crystal clear but the wind strong so I stay well back clutching the back wall, I find the strength to stagger to the handrail and peek over for a quick look. The trip back down is even more spectacular because this is another cable car dropping down over 2000 metres on a bit of cable. When I opened my eyes the journey had already begun I notice a young woman looking at me and smiling ,I couldn’t see anything funny. She said everything was okay it’s all new and they were still testing it and nothing had broken yet, I flicked the iPad around taking what I could and kept looking straight ahead. At the cable car arrival point called Eibsee I’m the last man out and when i turned around to see where I’d just come from a shudder ran through my spine, WADDA has seen the last of the alps for awhile, but the Jungfrau in Switzerland will forever be my favourite mountain. I saunter back the Vi Vadi in time to wash that fresh mountain air out of my system and replace it with a nice cold German beer it’s time to go see ya........ WADDA
WADDA at the top

Lake Eibsee

No comments:

Post a Comment