Friday 19 May 2017

Durnstein to Melk On a deadly treadley

We arrived into Durnstien on time after sailing overnight from Vienna,  and with the cool early morning air cutting across the deck I knew we were in for for a fine day. With the temperature forcast for 27 c life on this majestic river doesn't get any better than this. Our challenge today is the 32km bike ride along the banks of the Danube, WADDA & Tom have signed on for the challenge and with a serious training session after dinner last night some team members may have over trained a wee bit. The rules for this gruelling event have been given out to all riders , but this small Aussie team will not be adhering to any of the European clap trap. When the two marshals who turn up to control the miss mash of contestants, I felt like we were under house arrest . The woman who lead this group of gentle souls into the country side was from a strong stable of fitness freaks and thought maybe she could turn many of us the same way  . After the first 6 kms some long faces and sore bums the world champion of who cares had set a cracking pace and informed us we were on record time to beat the old record set by some other geriatric mob . Our enthusiasm is slipping as we push further into Austria along the banks of the beautiful Danube river, at the 12 km mark we are again briefed on our ahead of schedule split times. We all breath a sigh of relief as we are herded onto a river ferry, maybe our bikes will fall in the water but no such luck, smart Tom try's bargaining with a bloke on the ferry to load a couple of bikes in the back of his Jaguar 4x4 to take us to Melk,the bloke didn't buy Toms story. With 20 ks to go we all dig in for the rest of this day from hell, with my mind locked into finishing this brutal test I push on hard. As the field around me starts to crack WADDA is hit with disaster, yes the seat fails to remain in the set position, I put my backside into many different positions to no avail. With 3kms to go Geoff the good samarium from Bendigo Australia quickly decides to swap bikes to give WADDA a crack at finishing. As I chase the pack into Melk I seize the chance and pounce I turn this road racing bike into a BMX cut corners jump curbs dodge trees and hit the front. The pelaton crumbles I am now eyeballing the fitness freak, to my dismay she says 1km to go I'm gutted .As the chasers hoon past I knew I was done l double back and ride in dead last with my new mate from Bendigo. WADDA is to buggered to post pictures tonight so goodnight.........WADDA

No comments:

Post a Comment