Friday 2 October 2015

Can you believe this

Well today is the day on our holiday calendar that we have just been waiting for, as we head for the station to catch the train to Zermatt I cast a quick glance over my shoulder and stare upward at the imposing alps. This trip is by an electric train with steel cogs hanging down underneath, these cogs will be engaged on the steepest parts of the gradients   which will be at least 80percent of the time. The rise up to the Matterhorn is about 10000 feet, we begin this white knuckle ride with our chests out and our chins held high. Pretty soon we are just a gog with the absolute beauty of this journey, we continue climbing through many small villages and towns.We await the rounding of every twist and turn for the next surprise, and it just keeps on coming. Is there no end to this beauty, I hope not as our fears have all but gone when we arrive at Zermatt. Now the real adventure begins as the next cog train is in full cog drive for the last 1600 meters, the 2 grandchildren decide to do this last part with their dear old pop. The sun is bright and the snow is white and the Matterhorn looks fantastic, we are greeted at the summit with a very chilly minus 6 degrees . I will not even try to explain this beautiful place as words would not do it justice, but this is probably as close to heaven as I'll ever get. As we decend back down to Zermatt I just pinch myself one more time, i will never forget this mountain called the Matterhorn . Tomorrow we head to Geneva so see ya tomorrow if I have the energy..........WADDA 

1 comment: